Thursday, August 5, 2010

Why why why

    Perhaps the most frequently asked question, when people find out who and what I am, is why do I do what I do. The ice breaker answer is generally, because I'm loonier than a tune, insatiably curious and ,tho not yet proven by the psychology field , a bit of a masochist. Let's face it; you gotta be CRAZY to subject yourself to a brutal array of hours and the physical demands of lifting, hauling, toting and barging in close quarters, in extreme temperatures. I have a curious nature that makes me want to try anything, taste anything, learn anything.And lastly, well , when was the last time you let yourself be talked to, like you were worthless, useless, inane or worse had a 5 pound loin of pork thrown at you because the Chef thought it was ruined? And then came back the next day for more.Then, there are the burns, the cuts, the scars, the blood, the salt of your own sweat in yours, eyes blinding you and the screaming that you'll never make it.... And no, never been on Hell's Kitchen, but I've been to hell and back..As a quick divert from "WHY?", I personally don't subscribe to brutality, mental or physical, in a kitchen as a method of "controlling" a kitchen..I have no desire to reduce people to tears, or make them feel inadequate.I want my cooks doing their utmost, being warriors who will hold the line and fight for me, knowing that when when the shit hits the fan, I will be right there with them and lead them threw the fire.Not distracted by doubt and fear of reprisal.
    O.K., why?........I love.........
I love the feel of food; the silkiness of a piece of meat sliding thru my fingers as I filet it, the smell of food; it's clean , fresh, vibrant scent, the sound of it; sizzling, bubbling, snapping , sighing. And ,oh, the taste of it.........sweet, salty, hot, spicy. Lastly, the look of a gorgeous plate that makes you want to drink it in before devouring it. It's all pleasure based. I know it ,you know it.
    That's why...........I just love it!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Alana ,what was your comment? I don't know how it was removed.I didn't.

    ReplyDelete