Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It's a treat to beat your meat.........

  Ha.....thought you knew where this was going, didn't you? No, not that down that road today.This is more along the lines of letting a little aggression out on some pieces of veal. Now I know in todays PC world  veal is one of those things that people shy from, but there are some totally humane producers out there. There was a time when it was all about the pristine whiteness of a restrained calf force fed solely on mothers' milk.  Now free range happy animals give you happy meat, not as white,but much more delectable. With beautiful results. Check your with local co-op or whole food style market.
  When I was a girl, my Father and I had our Friday nights, where I would meet him at his office and we would go to restaurants around town, exploring and tasting and savoring. It gave Mom a break and introduced me to an unknown world of flavors and techniques and styles. It wasn't always about the elaborate, so much as the seductively simple way that these dishes were prepared.  Clean, inviting, aromatic... and the flavors!!!!!!!   Many of Dad's chef friends would allow me to venture in these here-to-fore secret worlds of mayhem and passions.........heat and love.........'cause they did love what they did...........and I was completely and properly hooked. I a virtual innocent, yearning to absorb all I could.
  Was it a man's world?  By all means.........we women were not supposed to be able to handle the physical stress, the heat, the demands.....in all, the pressure. But I wanted it, and learned to grow and thrive in it.
   Chef was a big man, arms like railroad ties, dark dangerous eyes and a black moustache. I knew he could eat me alive and reduce me to jelly......but ya know, when he smiled at me with those even white teeth, my fears washed away and I let him show me all he could.  He took me took me to the butcher block where there was a smooth pinkish veal round, cut it in half, gave me a razor sharp knife and said, "Do as I say and I do". Kindly and gently showing me how to keep my fingers, we sliced off several pieces together and laid them on a plate by the block.  And then, after we wrapped and protected the rest......this is what happened.......

Veal Piccata     4-5 ppl....

1 1/2 lb of veal top round, cut into 3 oz portions
2  eggs , beaten
11/2 oz of grated parmigiana cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 oz of flour (as needed)..for the gluten free, use a flour you're comfortable with or dispense with altogether
1-2 oz oil     (as needed)..I prefer clarified butter for color and taste......if veg oil is what you have , o.k.....
2 lemons....one cut into quarters to squeeze for juice and 1 to slice into thin rounds for finish
Dry white wine.............if you can't drink it , don't cook with it.....
1 Tbsp chopped shallots
1 fat healthy clove of garlic, smashed and chopped
1 Tbsp of capers
1 Tbsp whole unsalted butter

1-1 1/2 pounds  linguine or angel hair pasta...cooked al dente, rinsed till you don't feel the heat and LIGHTLY oiled.  Reserve some of the pasta water.

    Place the meat between 2 pieces of plastic or wax paper.....this keeps you from tearing the meat and "splatters" from going all over the kitchen.
    Pound the portions into 1/4 " thick pieces.  You don't need a meat tenderizer gadget if you have a rolling pin or a heavy pan.  Gently but firmly from center to edge running your fingertips across the meat to feel the evenness.  Employ your senses, in this case the sense of touch.  Food speaks it's own language.  It's sensuous, it's dirty. You have to get your hands in it, on it, around it, through it...feel it, smell it, taste it,and even sometimes listen to it.
 
   Thoroughly mix the eggs and grated cheese and set aside.
   Blot the veal dry with a paper towel, season w/salt and pepper, dip in egg mix and then dredge.  Blotting removes excess moisture and helps to create a better sear. And searing seals in the flavor.
   Heat pan over medium heat, add olive oil and /or butter, an ounce or two ( you don't need much...1/2" and you're frying... you want color and flavor, not grease)
   Add veal and sauté on one side for approx. 2 minutes or slightly golden.....turn and repeat. Remove to a pan with a rack.  You may keep it in the oven on the lowest heat to stay warm.  If you don't have a rack, a plate with a paper towel will do.  Just realize that the side on the paper towel may end up a little soggy.
   Toss in shallots and garlic, sauté till soft and "deglaze" with a few oz of white wine.This will sizzle and reduce and then squeeze a quarter or 2 of  lemon and taste..add capers..........correct as needed...salt , pepper, wine, lemon juice....Remove from heat, stir in cold butter, sauce will achieve a silkiness.Slide in some lemon circles....IF you want a thicker sauce, add a few oz. of your pasta water to it and reduce.

At this point you can add the pasta to the pan and stir, or place it on the plates, lay the veal medallions down and nap (spoon) it over the dish and place a few of the lemon slices on it.
Some shaved Asiago or Romano would be delightful...........

This is crisp,bright, clean and simple..........uncomplicated

6 comments:

  1. never ceases to amaze me - always wanted this recipe!!! definitely one of my favorites that i don't have search for any more! i'm gonna be a cooking fool now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help...ant more requests????

    ReplyDelete
  3. .you are very kind........I'll do my best..

    ReplyDelete
  4. .I woke up thinking that for tose of you who won't do veal,substitute...chicken breast,sliced on the bias, against the grain; pork lovers,yes,thin slices of pork,done slightly pinkish, moist and tender; here fishy fishy, sea bass, halibut shrimp or scallops............

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm chicken or trout piccata! totally versatile.

    ReplyDelete