Monday, September 20, 2010

It was the first night..but not the last

     It took months of wishing and hoping and planning and dreaming.  It took getting thru a summer of malaise and despair, uncertainty and self doubt. Why?  'Cause I was being human.  There are times when even the biggest, brightest and most assured get a little down and doubtful. Do we still have it? Can we still perform at a peak level? Can we handle criticism if and when it comes? Are we second guessing ourselves?  Have I lost my muse?
     I didn't grow up in the most positively reinforced atmosphere. Rather the opposite.  Never smart enough, thin enough, pretty enough. Never. And weird. On a different plane or in a different time. Doing and thinking of things that were "50 years ahead of myself" Mom used to say. Like I was a freak. Well, maybe I am.     That's not an issue with me, I'm comfortable with my strangeness.  I enjoy bouncing back and forth in different zones, playing with different ideas.
     The odds of me ever opening another establishment are slim to none.  The sheer financial and physical demands would undoubtedly kill me and that wouldn't do anyone any good, so when I first came up with the idea of doing dinners for people in a "non-restaurant " surrounding or "venue" (a term everyone seems to have glommed on),  (a) I knew it wasn't new, (b) wasn't sure the climate would accept it, (c) didn't really care, because I had a crushing desire to do my food for people who missed having me do it, and were asking for it, and looking for a comfortable way to have it.  Are they're others at it?  Sure.  Am I as good or better at it?  uh, YES.  So it has begun.
     I'm not unfamiliar with going into the new or unexplored. Part of my make up embraces new and difficult situations. It is my deep discipline and  code that allows me to see it for what it is and move forward. Alternating between being dominant and submissive gives me this freedom. More on philosophy at a later date....
     It was mutually decided that waiting for the enervating summer to pass would be the best idea. Gathering up my wits and feeling around for the "needs" of the clients, I put my mind on the actual dinner.  It was important to me that the dishes be right.  Also bringing in the correct wines to compliment the food and encourage the taste-buds to ecstasy was critical. One without the other would spell disaster. Seen that, won't do it.
    Considering dishes for clients is tricky when you know there will be disparate tastes. Am I looking to please the hosts? The guests?  Will they all blindly accept the same dish?  Will someone have an issue?  Having a restaurant quality meal, when there is not an a la carte menu for the guests to choose from, is a bear to work with.  In the end it was about pleasing me, because if I don't like it, no one will. So armed with ideas, I went off to a few markets to see what they might have in season from which to build the menu. There were a lot of good choices, but I couldn't shop too early for fear of the freshness quality deteriorating. That wouldn't do at all.
    Talking with your "counter" people (since I no longer have access to big purveyors) is critical.  When will next shipment of this item come in? Will these be available on this date? That sort of thing....breaking down the menu into needs lists.  Purchasing goods for things that need preparing ahead of time to "set". Finding out if the wines need pre-ordering. Making lists of items or tools to have with. You can't ever assume that what you need is going to be available where you are going. You are off premise or in the field.....anything goes. An Alice in Wonderland picnic.......and you can't sit on your mushroom smoking a hookah......not if you want it right.  Judicious planning is mandatory.
     I chose to take a second pair of hands to ensure that everything ran smoothly.  It helps for packing up everything to travel, double checking the needs list.  You may be called upon at any time to explain the dish, the wine , who knows.........and you want to be there  for the people eating your food.  At the same time you want to monitor the food and make sure it doesn't go to shit. Nothing kills the mood like over cooked or under done food.  No matter the size of the group, a pair or two of hands that know what they are doing and understand your vision, are a big plus.  You spent money and your guests are spending money.  Very symbiotic. Plus, the they are going to be the word of mouth for the future. Better be damn sure it's all you can be.
     We arrived on time and armed. They got comfy and relaxed with a cocktail. I called dinner when I felt the moment was right.
    The first course went out and it was simply beautiful and tempting.  Two different pates, one mousse style and one country version, with two complimentary cheeses.  Four different textures, plus sweet and savory accompaniments, to wake the mouth up. The first bottle of sparkling rose had darling little bubbles to tickle and tease. It all went down very well.
    A simple salad of slightly bitter greens lightly dressed with an herb vinaigrette, grape tomatoes and champagne grapes,  plus a glass of  white to help offset any "heaviness" sometimes associated with pate, followed.        
   Then after a brief respite the entees came out.
  Amazing fresh wild caught Sea Bass wrapped in leeks, like little presents, on a bed of soft, herbed, goat cheese Polenta, barely sautéed spinach with a compound butter quenelle, glistening and melting as we went.  This was served with a stunning 2005 Pinot and truly they were in heaven.  Nothing was left.  All eyes were bright and shiny.
     Once I manged the espresso machine, I was confident enough to serve dessert. A simple, palate cleansing Key Lime tart, with a bittersweet chocolate wafer for a kick.
    The diners were left to finish and talk amongst themselves, while we cleaned up and ensured that all was as it should be from when we came in.
     It was a huge success and and the promise of other meals was set in the works.
As I said, it was the first, but it will not be the last.

Menu
Duet of Pates.......Duck & Pork, Country Style  and Foie Gras Mousse, w/ Applewood Smoked Bacon Cheddar, and Ossau-Irati cheeses, figs, olives, Truffle Honey, Brioche toast points

Arugula, Belgian Endive & Raddichio w/  3-herb goddess Vinaigrette........baguettes and butter

Sea Bass wrapped in Leeks on soft herbed Goat Cheese Polenta, Sautéed Spinach w/compound butter

Key Lime Tart with fresh berries and 80% Chocolate wafer and Good Coffee

It's all  good,
Cheffy

3 comments:

  1. The best restaurant in Northeast Georgia, and it was in our home! In my experience, NOBODY around Athens cooks as well as Anne, and this meal was another confirmation of that belief. Considering the menu, the wines, and the luxury of having Chef personally prepare and present the meal, the price paid was truly a bargain. I cannot imagine a better way to entertain family or friends, or get some folks together and pool resources. You won't be disappointed!

    I did get in a little trouble after-wards with the Missus when I asked "Did that meal come out of our oven?!" Well, no one's ever accused me of being the sharpest pencil in the box...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was truly a delight to prepare for and serve you all. I could not have wanted a more satisfactory response. Of course, your faces said it all, but I never take anything for granted. Here's to celebrating food!!!!!!!!
    Thank you very much, Cheffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic! I can't wait until I can actually be there for one of these.

    ReplyDelete